05/05/2014

The difference detail makes

I subscribe to the theory that there should be three levels of visual impact in any architectural project. The overall picture, the individual "snapshot" areas of interest, and the ornamental details within each snapshot.



The images above show the first level of detail, the bigger picture. Fine as a basic play piece but it feels lacking, dead. 



Scattering a bit of static grass and a few pebbles is all it takes to breathe life in to a bit of scenery. This is a well known and obvious observation I know, but I was struck at the improvement the detail made to this tile myself. I wasn't loving it until yesterday's finishing session.


7 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    If you are on Facebook, please feel free to join the Pulp Miniatures Gaming group I have started there. I have already shown off some of your stuff over there.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for spreading the word Eli! I've ended up finding your blog "I see lead people" a few times when searching for inspiration. I'm gonna start a seperate dice mechanic facebook profile so I can just have hobby stuff in my feed :) I'll join in with the Pulp Miniatures Gaing group soon as that's done! Thanks again for looking at and sharing my stuff,

      Henry

      Delete
    2. *gaming

      My "m" button is f#$*!d

      Delete
  2. I agree with the article. Well done with that piece.

    As a side note, it will look even more "alive" if you dab a few patches of browns and creams on the rocks.

    Joao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you João Sousa! What would the browns and creams represent? Stains, eg mud/footprints, or just natural colour depth in the hue of the rocks themselves? I ask because what the colours represent affects how the paint should be applied. Thanks for the advice,

      Henry :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Henry, Yes, that's right: natural colour depth in the hue of the rocks themselves.

    Your pieces already look good enough with proper highlights and contrasts with darker areas.

    You can do some colour testing on a piece to see how it looks and 'feels' like with tones of brown and even dark green. Basically, using weathering techniques on the rock to show how the formations changed with time - and not just in terms of shape but also colour.

    Joao

    ReplyDelete